Toledo, Salamanca, tapas, alfredo :)
I've decided I'm going to do some separate photo websites since I don't want to upload too many pictures on this site. This will just have the best of's, if you will :)
So, Friday I went to Toledo with IES...it is a gorgeous antique city, full of religious significance. Unfortunately I don't retain historical facts very well, so I can't say too much about it, except that it used to be the Visigoth capital of Spain. Google it if you're so inclined :) Pam, Marco and I got separated from our group so we ended up meandering the town half the day, but that was fun in and of itself. We also ate at an Asian restaurant there...my first Asian food since I've been here. Of course, it didn't live up to my expectations!
Overlooking the river in Toledo
Courtney and me sparring
Bridge (I'm useless with names of things)
Friday night Antonio took me to an art exhibit featuring Otto Dix, a little-known German artist who was famous for his post-WWII work. Afterwards we went to tapas in Salamanca (area in Madrid, not the actual city)...I had some good white wine and all sorts of new foods...gula, lomos del cerdo, and other names which have escaped me.
Saturday morning we caught a bus to Salamanca and spent the day there. It too is a gorgeous city, home to the oldest university in Spain. The city is all uniformly tan, very sleek, and pretty much the perfect college town. Everything is walking distance, the weather was beautiful and the city is full of college students. We visited all the major stuff, the Plaza Mayor, Old Cathedral, and old University.
Courtney, Amy and me at the Old Cathedral
Plaza Mayor at night
And today, with the help of Pam, I accomplished the best cooking endeavor ever: Chicken alfredo from scratch! I'm seriously never eating out again, it was so easy to make and not half-bad.
And now, the roommates and I are going to drink sangria and watch West Side Story in honor of our newfound appreciation for Puerto Ricans and also because I've never seen it. Too bad the week starts tomorrow.
So, Friday I went to Toledo with IES...it is a gorgeous antique city, full of religious significance. Unfortunately I don't retain historical facts very well, so I can't say too much about it, except that it used to be the Visigoth capital of Spain. Google it if you're so inclined :) Pam, Marco and I got separated from our group so we ended up meandering the town half the day, but that was fun in and of itself. We also ate at an Asian restaurant there...my first Asian food since I've been here. Of course, it didn't live up to my expectations!
Overlooking the river in Toledo
Courtney and me sparring
Bridge (I'm useless with names of things)Friday night Antonio took me to an art exhibit featuring Otto Dix, a little-known German artist who was famous for his post-WWII work. Afterwards we went to tapas in Salamanca (area in Madrid, not the actual city)...I had some good white wine and all sorts of new foods...gula, lomos del cerdo, and other names which have escaped me.
Saturday morning we caught a bus to Salamanca and spent the day there. It too is a gorgeous city, home to the oldest university in Spain. The city is all uniformly tan, very sleek, and pretty much the perfect college town. Everything is walking distance, the weather was beautiful and the city is full of college students. We visited all the major stuff, the Plaza Mayor, Old Cathedral, and old University.
Courtney, Amy and me at the Old Cathedral
Plaza Mayor at nightAnd today, with the help of Pam, I accomplished the best cooking endeavor ever: Chicken alfredo from scratch! I'm seriously never eating out again, it was so easy to make and not half-bad.
And now, the roommates and I are going to drink sangria and watch West Side Story in honor of our newfound appreciation for Puerto Ricans and also because I've never seen it. Too bad the week starts tomorrow.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home