Thursday, March 02, 2006

Late-night diversion, Spanish slang

Someone said to me today, you only know if you truly love someone once you've lost them. Something to ponder.

Aaaanyway, so today we went out for our friend Stephanie's birthday to T.G.I. Friday's (yes, they have one here) for happy hour. Drinks were only 2 euro!! And they were decent-sized cocktails, and by decent I mean obscenely huge compared to the dinky drinks we usually get at clubs. I had a Lynchburg lemonade, most of Pam's June Bug, and an Alabama Slammer. I'll let you Google the contents if you so desire. Let's just say I was quite happy by the time I left...

I then took a much-needed nap (my second one of the day! A record for me). I woke up mildly tipsy (you know that's when you've had too much), and made chicken alfredo from scratch again - this time with much more success! A warning to those who also aspire to my great achievement: don't ever let alfredo sauce boil over on the stove; it's a BITCH to clean up.

After dinner, we -Pam, Co and I - moseyed down to El Tren, a little bar/cafeteria (here "cafeteria" really just means a cafe) a few blocks from our house. It's very low-key, all locals, and has cheap drinks - only 3 euro a cocktail! I had a Catalan Coffee, which has some special chocolate liqueur in it and came with the BEST fresh whipped cream ever... This bar also has all these board games in Spanish, so we amused ourselves for an hour or two with Spanish Pictionary. The highlights were "snoring," "swallow," and "Paloma" for reasons only we will ever appreciate. Courtney and Pam have to get up early tomorrow morning for a guided tour around Madrid for their History class, bwahaha...and I get to sleep in for once!

Anyway, so now I'm bored (a rarity for me, please cherish this on my behalf), and I'm putting off reading two novels, a play, and doing two compositions for the moment. So here's some miscellaneous pictures for your viewing pleasure:

The roommates in Toledo, way back when...
My favorite fruit/vegetable store next to our apt
Experimenting with the macro feature on my camera
The view from our apartment, 4th floor
Blue Cheese! Once a Baskin Robbins, now a local eatery that sells hot sandwiches and good ice cream. The "32" has the same BR design, but the number 32 to stand for the street number. Clever, eh?
Municipal building in the Plaza de Moncloa, en route to the university

Oh, and to prove that I am indeed learning more than just how to bar-hop while I'm here: Impress your Spanish-speaking friends! Here's a list of minimal Spanish slang. I'll enlongate this list as I accumulate more...

pijo/pija = preppy, yuppie
esnob = snob (yes, they picked it up from us)
chinchar = to pester
borracho/borracha = drunk
ligon/ligona = a flirt
que rollo! = what a bore!
estoy muy a gusto = I'm very comfortable
mola mazo = cool
flipar = to flip out
untar = to spread (i.e. butter or cheese)
ir haciendo eses - to stumble (literally translates to "making S's")

2 Comments:

Blogger chmtek said...

who's the hottie in the background?

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey that's an impressive amount of slang you're acquiring; next i expect a run-through of cuss words and other vulgarities! (but i understand if you don't want to offend the sensibilities of your readers - Spanish swear-words when literally translated do seem to revolve around body parts, biological functions, and sexual acts... to which you ought to sarcastically and appropriately reply: no me jodas!)

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home