Birthday schmirthday, LISBON
Yesterday marked my official transition into the cruel adult world, by American standards. Yes, I'm 21! Feels surreal. Definitely not nearly as big of a deal here than in the States, but still a crucial turning point in my life, in more ways than one...
Barring the absence of many good friends and family from home, my birthday celebration was perfect. Maria's birthday was a day before mine, so we went out Monday night to VIPS, which is a chain restaurant that can only be described as a fancy diner: imagine Applebee's with a much more chic layout and people dining in suits. They have the most amazing three-chocolate cake ever.
After VIPS we ducked into a bar called Liquor (yes, how innovative). The inside was almost as small as a bedroom and had a Halloween theme, oddly. We ordered a round of calimochos - red wine and coca cola, it's not as bad as it sounds - and jammed to American songs from my middle school years - Hanson, Chumbawumba, New Radicals, etc. The bartender was very generous - upon hearing that it was my and Maria's birthdays, he gave us free scarves and CD cases, probably promotional items for the bar, and read our palms. And by reading palms I really mean uncomfortably massaging random parts of my face. Seriously. He felt my face, neck, lips. That was interesting. But his reading was pretty accurate: I am a good orator, but sometimes don't know when to stop talking; I am outgoing but hardheaded and get pissed easily; I need to learn to my elders. Not bad for a seedy bartender.
The actual day of my birthday was rather eventful. Our RA got fired,and that's a whole different story. So, she thought she had a week to move out. But IES people came around 5pm, interrupting my much-needed nap, to tell her she had to move out that day. So we had movers packing up stuff rather hastily for 3 hours or so. She's officially gone, took all the decorations, DVD player, tupperware, and other stuff that was definitely ours. But luckily IES feels totally guilty for nearly displacing us last week, and now this - so we get a new DVD player, new tupperware, dishes, towels, and other ameneties at their expense, and hopefully a new, better RA.
Afterwards we - me, my roommates, Amy, Maria, Marco, and Antonio - went out to dinner at Pinocchio's. As usual, I had a good dinner and wine for a great price. After that Antonio showed us a little "hippie" area right near our apartment, and we ducked into this funky bar that played, oddly, American music from the 50's...I've never had such a strong urge to do the twist.
As for presents, Corey and Courtney got me a cute blazer and matching scarf from H&M; Pam got me Vitamin C drops because I was sick, hairbrush because mine is dying, two pairs of earrings, and awesome black stockings because they're currently the hot trend in Spain. Thanks girls! Overall I am very satisfied with the way I spent my 21st. And don't you worry...the real celebrations will happen this weekend!



IN OTHER NEWS: We booked our flight to Lisbon!!
Barring the absence of many good friends and family from home, my birthday celebration was perfect. Maria's birthday was a day before mine, so we went out Monday night to VIPS, which is a chain restaurant that can only be described as a fancy diner: imagine Applebee's with a much more chic layout and people dining in suits. They have the most amazing three-chocolate cake ever.
After VIPS we ducked into a bar called Liquor (yes, how innovative). The inside was almost as small as a bedroom and had a Halloween theme, oddly. We ordered a round of calimochos - red wine and coca cola, it's not as bad as it sounds - and jammed to American songs from my middle school years - Hanson, Chumbawumba, New Radicals, etc. The bartender was very generous - upon hearing that it was my and Maria's birthdays, he gave us free scarves and CD cases, probably promotional items for the bar, and read our palms. And by reading palms I really mean uncomfortably massaging random parts of my face. Seriously. He felt my face, neck, lips. That was interesting. But his reading was pretty accurate: I am a good orator, but sometimes don't know when to stop talking; I am outgoing but hardheaded and get pissed easily; I need to learn to my elders. Not bad for a seedy bartender.
The actual day of my birthday was rather eventful. Our RA got fired,and that's a whole different story. So, she thought she had a week to move out. But IES people came around 5pm, interrupting my much-needed nap, to tell her she had to move out that day. So we had movers packing up stuff rather hastily for 3 hours or so. She's officially gone, took all the decorations, DVD player, tupperware, and other stuff that was definitely ours. But luckily IES feels totally guilty for nearly displacing us last week, and now this - so we get a new DVD player, new tupperware, dishes, towels, and other ameneties at their expense, and hopefully a new, better RA.
Afterwards we - me, my roommates, Amy, Maria, Marco, and Antonio - went out to dinner at Pinocchio's. As usual, I had a good dinner and wine for a great price. After that Antonio showed us a little "hippie" area right near our apartment, and we ducked into this funky bar that played, oddly, American music from the 50's...I've never had such a strong urge to do the twist.
As for presents, Corey and Courtney got me a cute blazer and matching scarf from H&M; Pam got me Vitamin C drops because I was sick, hairbrush because mine is dying, two pairs of earrings, and awesome black stockings because they're currently the hot trend in Spain. Thanks girls! Overall I am very satisfied with the way I spent my 21st. And don't you worry...the real celebrations will happen this weekend!



IN OTHER NEWS: We booked our flight to Lisbon!!

1 Comments:
Happy Birfday!! to both of you.
Post a Comment
<< Home